Shark Navigator Professional Upright White Canister Vacuum Cleaner UV420 Reviews & Coupon
Availability: Usually ships in 1-2 business days
(34 customer reviews)
Most helpful customer reviews
27 of 30 people found the following review helpful.
Well built, unique design, excellent features but can't stand on it's own, hard to use on tall carpet.
By Chris Juan
So I ran into an odd problem. I had rinsed and air-dried the foam filter a couple times by now as I don't like seeing dirt build up. But at some point there was a terrible mildew odor coming out the whole vacuum. It smelled like someone had vacuumed up a nasty wet basement flood. It was so bad I had to return it. I like this vacuum and I think it's cleaning power is designed like a well tuned jet engine vs lawn mower-like vacuums (ie PAWS wind-tunnel hoover is all plastic, cheap feeling, has a terribly short hose, and the brush kicks dust around faster than the vacuum can collect it...itchy throat). I would get a replacement shark because of its quality but be more cautious about washing the filter by throwing it in the dryer instead of air drying. If you don't push air through the large foam filter daily, I imagine any trapped moisture and mildew in it will develop very quickly. Also, don't bother cleaning the filter out until it actually affects performance.
A few tips. Keep both the hose extensions on while it's hooked up to the floor unit. It's actually easier to access the suction release that way and frees up a place to hang the power pet tool... One possible way to fully use the length of the hose without tip-over is by attaching the vacuum to a sturdy wall or door hook. For example, I even store the vacuum on the back of my bed room door, as the steel linked loop handle can securely hang the vacuum on an over-the-door hanger while in use and out of use. Although the hose is long, the hose handle doesn't lock-on, so that it'll slip off if you only grip by the handle and pull too far. That's a disappointing design flaw.
Easy to put together, not heavy. Cleaning power of hose and floor unit is very strong and thorough on short carpet and bare floor. However the floor unit has a narrow 12" cleaning path, the same as a compact dirt devil. The swivel motion is useful for getting around corners and furniture but is cumbersome in large open areas. A significantly firm grip is needed to keep on a straight path, so if you loosen your grip you will swerve. With the wobbly design and high center of balance, use of the hose usually makes the thing collapse on the side without warning. The hose works best if you lay the vacuum flat on its back. The floor unit itself is removable, thus replaceable, or if you plan on it you can still use the hose without the floor unit attached. Kind of cool.
I bought mine from Costco and it came with a great pet hair removal power brush attachment which works well but has no designated on-board storage placement. It also came with an extra long kink-free hose, a standard brush add-on, crevice tool, and extended crevice tool, and extension. The cord is long but heavy. I like the large dust bin capacity and brush on/off feature. Emptying bin is easy but dust always gets on the outer rim. The "never loses suction" slogan requires an asterisk. You still need to wash the foam filter between the dust bin and exhaust filter every 3 months. If accidentally sucking up large objects like paper towels and pens can cause blockage so you need to check the entry ports ever so often.
Not good for tall carpets because the brush roller height is not adjustable. The brush roller with the suction release completely open will still snag. Fortunately, to prevent damage, a safety mechanism shuts the roller off as indicated by a green light turning red. On medium long carpets you still have to adjust the suction release feature which basically reduces its suction power or else it is difficult to move.
If it had a retractable cord, better balance, "headlights", a no-swivel lock/unlock (for preferred stability on floor or hose), brush roller height adjustment, and a slightly wider cleaning path, I'd rate shark navigator pro much higher.
14 of 14 people found the following review helpful.
STRONG Powerful High Quality vacuum...
Poop... I missed a sale price on this Item by three days at Costco ($119)! I picked it up today (9/12/2012) for their normal $149 price (+$9 tax)= $158. I couldn't decide if I wanted the newer fancier Shark NV356E model that separates from the bottom brush unit. Or this 420 unit (mostly sold only at Costco). My decision delay cost me $30.
The 420 unit does not separate from its base. But, its collapsible hose is much longer when fully extended than the NV356E and its tank is much larger than the NV356E. Due to the longer hose, you don't need to separate the tank from the base like the NV356E. The NV356E has a smaller tank. I was leaning toward the NV356E. Until I read about the 420 on another Amazon forum.
I'm glad That I got the 420. These Shark vacuums suck so strong that you will fill up the tank several times while vacuuming your home. You need the bigger tank IMHO to avoid several trips to the garage garbage can.
I'm amazed. This is a high quality built unit. Its plastic, but not the normal China crap I'm used to getting. Heavy duty thickness, Good rubber seals on most tank connections. I think it should last a very long time. If not Coatco well take it back ten years from now with no questions.
I had just vacuumed my Trouse (trailer/house) yesterday. I was surprised that I filled the Sharks tank tonight. I have a small 1,100 sq. ft home and I have berber carpet. This is the strongest vacuum that I have ever owned. I can't imagine another possibly being stronger. I bet this thing could suck a golf ball through a garden hose (LOL).
This is a keeper. The fancy NV356E here on Amazon for $199 is the best price that you will find for that unit, if you want that model. I don't think that you need it. Although, a lot of people are very happy with it. Search for the other Amazon forum regarding the NV356E.
10 of 10 people found the following review helpful.
Better version of the Dyson
My prior vacuum was a Hoover Windtunnel self-propelled. I've gotten to use both Dyson and Electrolux bagless uprights, so I can compare with the Shark. The Shark isn't wonderful or awful. Better than a stick vacuum and it's OK. I'd put it in the $100 class.
Got it at Costco on sale for $120.
1) Really long hose
2) Hose is detachable from all the wands. This allows you to manipulate attachments (like the pet hair one) without it being stuck on a huge block of plastic. (Not possible on the Electrolux and I think the Dyson too.)
3) Debris came out of canister with just a little bang against the trash can. (A _real_ problem on the Dyson, where I often had to remove the inner part too.)
4) Lack of height adjustment didn't prevent me from vacuuming a throw rug. Also there is a suction control that might keep it from sticking to thicker rugs.
5) Pet hair attachment worked well. Cleaned as well as my Eureka handheld and of course had no weight (handheld is heavy!). It also pops open easily for cleaning; there is a belt in there that I could see getting clogged with fur.
6) Narrow head, so you can get in-between furniture.
7) Not too heavy. Balanced between motor power and weight.
8) Brush is enabled electronically and is "smart". If it can't turn it will shut off to keep from burning the belt (and eating my bathroom rug). Righting the vacuum resets it.
9) Has both a small crevice tool and a long one. The latter is kind of cool because you usually want to use a crevice tool along baseboards. Can't fall off the wand if it's all one piece.
10) Attachments snap in securely. (On the Electrolux they fall off at the slightest touch.)
1) Not much of a base, so the vacuum falls over when you move around with an attachment. Such as using the crevice tool around the bottom of the kitchen cabinets.
2) Narrow mouth, so takes longer to vacuum a room.
3) Brush doesn't reach all the way to edge of the vacuum (see customer photo), so it doesn't pick up as well along the baseboard on carpet. On hard floor the suction compensates.
4) This is more personal. I don't like pivot in any of these bagless vacuums; it's harder to drive a straight pattern. A regular vacuum can turn just about as well by rotating the whole thing.
5) The hose connects to a wand which connects to the mouth of the vacuum. This wand is difficult to push back into place because you have to steer it through a collar that helps hold it. Also I'm concerned that the friction fit may come loose as the vacuum ages.
6) Can't flatten to the floor for cleaning under beds. This may be true of all bagless though. (Miss my Hoover.)
7) Pet hair attachment is not on-board. It's pretty big though so I can understand why they didn't try.
Easy to maneuver, the navigator rides on smooth glide rubber wheels for effortless vacuuming around furniture. Its swivel steering makes moving around furniture and from room to room a breeze. The shark navigator traps dust and dirt so the navigator never loses suction and cleans the last room as well as the first. A 30-feet power cord lets you clean multiple rooms from a single outlet. The navigator power nozzle makes quick work of pet hair on carpets. The 16-inch crevice tool reaches hair in tight spaces. The navigator is ideal for bare floor cleaning; the electronic brush roll shutoff stops the brush roll for superior bare floor cleanup. The super stretch hose gives you a long cleaning reach and the large bagless dust cup means there are no bags to replace. This small-medium sized vacuum has amazing suction - even more suction than previous Shark models. Air-flow is not lost, even with amazing hose length. With the 16" extension wand, 16" crevice tool and 30' cord, it is possible to clean a space almost 40 feet from the plugin!
- Amazon Sales Rank: #35135 in Home
- Color: White
- Brand: Shark
- Model: UV420
- Dimensions: 18.00 pounds
- The best cleaning large capacity lightweight upright that never loses suction!
- Perfect for pet owners - this vacuum handles pet hair with ease
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology
- Weighs on 17.7 pounds
- Bagless, with Easy EmptyTM Dirt Cup